Saturday, January 11, 2014

Kialoa Paddle Review (Methane)

KIALOA METHANE

Gorge Performance had a 20% off sale of Kialoa paddles so how could anyone refuse. I have been using an all carbon "made in china" non name brand paddle. I would consider my old paddle middle of the road quality. However it is amazing how the quality jumps from a $200 paddle to a $300 paddle.

Weight: A
21oz is an impressively low number however I am much more impressed with how its balanced. Balance is really what you are after and I give them an A for having little to no swing weight at all. Sweet!

Grip: A-
This is the only part of the paddle I am not super stoked about! Not because I think it is inferior only because I am not used to it. It is a t-bar style Grip that spans straight accross and actually fits over the shaft. I believe this will be advantageous for pivoting in my palm....  just feels different at this point.

Shaft: A
Slightly oval!! which is very important! Half of your grip is on the shaft so having that oblong form allows much more control than a round one would.

Blade: A
Smaller in volume! Which is what you need for faster acceleration! This is ideal for surf supers. You need to be able to pivot and accelerate very quickly. A larger paddle face is going to allow for a higher top speed but slower acceleration. Think "gears in cars" and it makes sense. A smaller volume blade is like a lower gear.

Overall: A
I am very happy with my purchase! At this point in the sport I am impressed with Kialoa. I am excited to see where paddle technology goes from here. I would love to see interchangeable grips, shafts, and blades similar to being able to switch out fins. Just some Time I am sure and we will see this technology!

Good job guys!!



No comments:

Post a Comment